ComponentSpace

Forums

SSO credentials being retained on website logout

SSO credentials being retained on website logout

Author
Adrian Parker
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I have a asp.net website with a logout button that redirects to logout.aspx...  which is actually an HTTP Handler and contains the following code in the ProcessRequest method..

Public Sub ProcessRequest(ByVal context As System.Web.HttpContext) Implements System.Web.IHttpHandler.ProcessRequest
    Try
      If ctx.Authentication_SingleSignOn Then
       Dim ProviderID As String = ctx.siteConfigDef("sso_provider_id", "")
       If SAMLServiceProvider.CanSLO(ProviderID) Then
        SAMLServiceProvider.InitiateSLO(context.Response, Nothing, Nothing, ProviderID)
       End If
      End If
    Catch ex As Exception
    End Try

context.Session.Clear()
    context.Session.Abandon()
    context.Items.Clear()
    context.Request.Cookies.Remove("ASP.NET_SessionId")
    FormsAuthentication.SignOut()
    context.Response.Redirect("login.aspx", True)
   End Sub

In the top of the login.aspx page I have this..

Dim ProviderID As String = ctx.siteConfig("sso_provider_id")
    If String.IsNullOrEmpty(ProviderID) Then
      ctx.accessDenied("The system is not configured correctly for Single Sign On")
      Return
    End If

Try
       SAMLServiceProvider.InitiateSLO(ctx.current.Response, Nothing, Nothing, ProviderID)
      End If
    Catch ex As Exception
    End Try

SAMLServiceProvider.InitiateSSO(ctx.current.Response, Nothing, ProviderID)
    Return
   End If

What's happening is that when the user presses the logout button, it's going through the logout code, but when it redirects to the login page, it's redirecting to the SSO provider, which doesn't prompt for credentials and just redirects back to our side to the start page..    SSO credentials aren't being cleared on logout.    Closing and reopening the browser will prompt for the credentials on the provider site as expected.

I notice that even after logout, the ASP_NET.SessionId is set to the same value once it hits the login page.

Am I not doing something I should be ?
Regards
Adrian

ComponentSpace
ComponentSpace
ComponentSpace Development
ComponentSpace Development (4.4K reputation)ComponentSpace Development (4.4K reputation)ComponentSpace Development (4.4K reputation)ComponentSpace Development (4.4K reputation)ComponentSpace Development (4.4K reputation)ComponentSpace Development (4.4K reputation)ComponentSpace Development (4.4K reputation)ComponentSpace Development (4.4K reputation)ComponentSpace Development (4.4K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Hi Adrian,
When you call SAMLServiceProvider.InitiateSLO it will return a 302 redirect HTTP response with the logout request encoded as a query string parameter.
At the end of the ProcessRequest you're calling context.Response.Redirect to redirect to your login page. This will override the redirect for sending the logout request.
Your logic should be to only redirect to the login page if you haven't called SAMLServiceProvider.InitiateSLO.
Similarly, in your login page don't call SAMLServiceProvider.InitiateSSO if you've called SAMLServiceProvider.InitiateSLO as the sending of the logout request will be overridden by the sending of the SAML authn request.

Regards
Adrian Parker
Adrian Parker
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)

ComponentSpace - 6/4/2020
Hi Adrian,
When you call SAMLServiceProvider.InitiateSLO it will return a 302 redirect HTTP response with the logout request encoded as a query string parameter.
At the end of the ProcessRequest you're calling context.Response.Redirect to redirect to your login page. This will override the redirect for sending the logout request.
Your logic should be to only redirect to the login page if you haven't called SAMLServiceProvider.InitiateSLO.
Similarly, in your login page don't call SAMLServiceProvider.InitiateSSO if you've called SAMLServiceProvider.InitiateSLO as the sending of the logout request will be overridden by the sending of the SAML authn request.

Thanks for the reply, 

I've made the following changes..

in the logoff.aspx...

Public Sub ProcessRequest(ByVal context As System.Web.HttpContext) Implements System.Web.IHttpHandler.ProcessRequest
    Dim UsedSLO As Boolean = False
    Try
       Dim ProviderID As String = ctx.siteConfigDef("sso_provider_id", "")
        SAMLServiceProvider.InitiateSLO(context.Response, Nothing, Nothing, ProviderID)
        UsedSLO = True
       End If
      End If
    Catch ex As Exception
    End Try

context.Session.Clear()
    context.Session.Abandon()
    context.Items.Clear()
    context.Request.Cookies.Remove("ASP.NET_SessionId")
    context.Request.Cookies.Add(New HttpCookie("ASP.NET_SessionId", ""))
    FormsAuthentication.SignOut()

If Not UsedSLO Then
      context.Response.Redirect("~/secure/login.aspx", True)
    End If
   End Sub

and in the login.aspx..

Try
       SAMLServiceProvider.InitiateSLO(ctx.current.Response, Nothing, Nothing, ProviderID)
      Else
       SAMLServiceProvider.InitiateSSO(ctx.current.Response, Nothing, ProviderID)
      End If
    Catch ex As Exception
      ctx.accessDenied("There is a problem signing you into the system, please contact support")
    End Try

This does beg the question though, if SLO isn't supported, what do you need to remove to have InitiateSSO not think you're already logged in at the remote site ? 

In the logout, I know in the sample you have the FormsAuthentication.SignOut() before calling the SLO, but I didn't want to clear out anything that might mean the SLO didn't have enough info to know who we are when calling SLO.

Regards 
Adrian

ComponentSpace
ComponentSpace
ComponentSpace Development (4.4K reputation)ComponentSpace Development (4.4K reputation)ComponentSpace Development (4.4K reputation)ComponentSpace Development (4.4K reputation)ComponentSpace Development (4.4K reputation)ComponentSpace Development (4.4K reputation)ComponentSpace Development (4.4K reputation)ComponentSpace Development (4.4K reputation)ComponentSpace Development (4.4K reputation)

Normally you would establish a local authentication session once SSO completes (eg call FormsAuthentication.SetAuthCookie). You would only call SAMLServiceProvider.InitiateSSO if you don't have a local authentication session.

However, if you've already called SAMLServiceProvider.InitiateSSO/SAMLServiceProvider.ReceiveSSO you can call this sequence again at any stage. If the user is still logged into the identity provider, they won't be prompted to login again.

Regards
Adrian Parker
Adrian Parker

ComponentSpace - 6/4/2020
Normally you would establish a local authentication session once SSO completes (eg call FormsAuthentication.SetAuthCookie). You would only call SAMLServiceProvider.InitiateSSO if you don't have a local authentication session.

However, if you've already called SAMLServiceProvider.InitiateSSO/SAMLServiceProvider.ReceiveSSO you can call this sequence again at any stage. If the user is still logged into the identity provider, they won't be prompted to login again.

Here's what I have at the moment.. in pseudocode assuming no errors etc

Login Page..

IF usingSSO THEN
  IF canSLO THEN
   InitiateSLO
  ELSE
   InitiateSSO
  END IF
ELSE
  normal site login
END IF

The reason I put the SLO part in the login page is that when the session times out and it auto-redirects to the login page, I wanted the user to have to login again as normal, but I'm now thinking this will just annoy them so I've asked the vendor whether it should just go back to their start page.. so the code would then just be simply..

IF usingSSO THEN
    InitiateSSO
ELSE
    normal site login
END IF

SSO Page (where identity provider site redirects to after their login)

ReceiveSSO
IF valid user
    FormsAuthentication.SetAuthCookie
    redirect to users start page
ELSE
    oops
END IF

Logout handler

IF usingSSO THEN
    IF canSLO THEN
        InitiateSLO
    END IF
END IF

destroy the session
FormsAuthentication.SignOut
IF SLO not called
    redirect to login page
END IF

I'm still not sure what to do in the logout part if SLO isn't used..  what do I have to clear locally to ensure the user will be prompted for an identity provider login ?

Thanks
Adrian
ComponentSpace
ComponentSpace

If the identity provider doesn't support SLO but you want the user logged out from the identity provider, the only other option is to prompt the user to close the browser. 

Regards
Adrian Parker
Adrian Parker

ComponentSpace - 6/5/2020
If the identity provider doesn't support SLO but you want the user logged out from the identity provider, the only other option is to prompt the user to close the browser. 

ok thanks..  I'm still curious about what is sent to the identify provider to identify who the current user is...  i.e. how would you put the current browser into a state that was the same as closing and re-opening the browser again ?

ComponentSpace
ComponentSpace

The logout request includes the name identifier and session index. These should uniquely identify the logged in user.

However, in most use cases the logout request is sent using the HTTP-Redirect or HTTP-Post binding. This means the message is sent via the browser and therefore it's in the context of the user's browser session. The identity provider knows who the current user is via whatever cookies it uses.  

Regards
Adrian Parker
Adrian Parker

ComponentSpace - 6/5/2020
The logout request includes the name identifier and session index. These should uniquely identify the logged in user.

However, in most use cases the logout request is sent using the HTTP-Redirect or HTTP-Post binding. This means the message is sent via the browser and therefore it's in the context of the user's browser session. The identity provider knows who the current user is via whatever cookies it uses.  

ok thanks, I've made the changes, it's going to up to the vendor as to when they test it on their system.
ComponentSpace
ComponentSpace

You're welcome. Let us know if there are any issues.

Regards
GO